Welcome to the charming fishing village of Bang Bao on the serene island of Koh Chang, Thailand. Steeped in maritime history and teeming with local culture, Bang Bao offers a unique and enchanting experience for those who venture beyond the island’s beautiful beaches. In this blog post, we will take you on a virtual tour of this delightful village and reveal why it’s a hidden gem worth exploring.
A Glimpse of Bang Bao:
- Nestled on the southwestern coast of Koh Chang, Bang Bao is situated on a narrow, curving peninsula that extends into the sea.
- It’s approximately 30 minutes by road from the main ferry terminal at Ao Thammachat.
The Traditional Stilted Village:
- Bang Bao is instantly recognizable for its collection of stilted wooden houses that extend out over the water. These structures are both homes and shops for the local fishermen and their families.
- The village’s maritime heritage is visible in every aspect of its architecture, from the nets and fishing gear hung out to dry to the boats moored alongside the piers.
Local Life and Culture:
- The heart of Bang Bao is its working fishing community. As you wander through the village, you’ll see fishermen mending nets, boats being prepared for the next voyage, and fish being sorted and dried in the sun.
- It’s an opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture, chat with the friendly residents, and gain a deeper appreciation for the island’s traditional way of life.
Attractions and Activities:
- Bang Bao Pier: The long, wooden pier stretches into the sea and is lined with an array of shops and seafood restaurants. It’s the perfect place to savor fresh catches of the day and enjoy stunning sea views.
- Lighthouse: Climb to the top of the Bang Bao Lighthouse, which is perched atop a hill and offers panoramic views of the village, the sea, and the surrounding landscape.
- Fisherman’s Village Museum: This small but informative museum provides insights into the history and culture of the local fishing community.
- Boat Trips: From Bang Bao, you can book boat trips to nearby islands and explore the stunning marine life of the Koh Chang archipelago.
- Scenic Walks: Stroll along the village’s wooden pathways, taking in the scenic views and stopping to watch fishermen at work.
- Bang Bao offers some of the best seafood on the island. Freshly caught fish and other marine delights are prepared in a variety of ways, from grilled to curried, ensuring a delectable dining experience.
Shopping and Souvenirs:
- The village’s shops offer a selection of souvenirs, including handmade crafts, jewelry, clothing, and local products that make for unique keepsakes from your visit.
Bang Bao, with its authentic fishing village charm and maritime traditions, is a hidden treasure on Koh Chang. It provides a refreshing departure from the island’s bustling beaches and resorts, allowing you to connect with the local way of life and absorb the island’s rich culture. So, if you’re seeking an authentic and culturally enriching experience, make sure to include Bang Bao in your Koh Chang itinerary. It’s a delightful journey into the heart of the island’s maritime soul.