Koh Chang, Thailand, offers a perfect blend of tropical beauty, adventure, and vibrant nightlife. While a few days are enough to sample its delights, those lucky enough to stay for a few months can dive even deeper into the island’s charms. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through an extended stay on Koh Chang, complete with recommendations, highlights, and a list of the island’s attractions, including the party scene.
Getting Settled in Paradise
- For a prolonged stay, consider renting a furnished apartment, bungalow, or villa. The island offers a variety of accommodations to suit your budget and preferences, whether you choose to be nestled in the jungle or closer to the beach.
- You may want to rent a motorbike or bicycle for convenient and cost-effective transportation. Alternatively, explore local taxi services and songthaews for island-hopping.
Island Attractions: Nature and Adventure
Klong Plu Waterfall:
- Begin your adventure by visiting the Klong Plu Waterfall in Klong Prao, a 3-tiered gem surrounded by lush jungle. Enjoy a refreshing swim in the natural pool at its base.
Than Mayom Waterfall:
- Discover Than Mayom Waterfall, a series of cascades and rock pools. It’s an ideal place for a day of swimming and picnicking.
Khiri Phet Waterfall:
- Situated on the island’s east coast, Khiri Phet offers serenity and solitude, perfect for relaxation.
- Hike to one of the island’s viewpoints, such as Salak Phet, for panoramic vistas of Koh Chang’s lush landscapes and pristine coastline.
Klong Jao Leuam Beach:
- Take a hike to the remote Klong Jao Leuam Beach in the southeast. The tranquil setting is worth the effort.
Island Attractions: Cultural and Historical
Wat Salak Petch:
- Explore Wat Salak Petch, an authentic Thai temple that provides cultural enrichment and serenity.
Fisherman’s Village in Bang Bao:
- Visit the Bang Bao Fishing Village, with overwater restaurants and a unique charm. Walk along the pier and enjoy breathtaking views.
Water Sports and Island Hopping:
- Koh Chang is a hub for water sports, including snorkeling, diving, kayaking, and more. Consider island hopping to nearby gems like Koh Mak, Koh Kood, and Koh Wai.
Party Scene on Koh Chang:
Koh Chang’s party scene comes alive, particularly in the Lonely Beach area, which is famous for its laid-back atmosphere and reggae vibes. After months of relaxation and exploration, you can enjoy the island’s lively nightlife at beachfront bars and clubs playing diverse music, from reggae to EDM.
Extended Stay Recommendations:
- Learn the Local Cuisine: Take the time to explore the island’s culinary scene. Taste local dishes, attend cooking classes, and savor fresh seafood from beachfront restaurants.
- Support Local Arts and Crafts: Koh Chang is home to talented artisans. Discover unique handicrafts and souvenirs at local markets.
- Community Involvement: Koh Chang has a rich local culture. Consider engaging in community-based activities and initiatives to support the island’s residents.
- Relax and Unwind: Don’t forget to schedule days for relaxation, meditation, or yoga. Koh Chang offers tranquil and peaceful environments for these activities.
An extended stay on Koh Chang is a dream come true for those who want to experience the island’s natural beauty, rich culture, and vibrant nightlife at a leisurely pace. So, whether you’re seeking adventure, relaxation, or a bit of both, Koh Chang welcomes you to immerse yourself in the paradise it has to offer for a few memorable months.