Koh Chang, the “Elephant Island” of Thailand, is often celebrated for its stunning western beaches and vibrant nightlife. However, the island’s eastern side, with its lush jungles, serene villages, and pristine coastlines, remains a hidden gem. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the captivating wonders of Koh Chang’s east side, from serene villages to eco-friendly accommodations and the untouched beauty of nature.
Reaching the East Side:
To explore the east side of Koh Chang, you can take a scenic drive or hire a taxi from the west coast. The island’s main road leads you through the hilly interior, revealing lush rainforests and offering glimpses of the sea along the way. As you descend towards the east, the landscapes become more serene and less crowded.
Villages on the East Side:
- Salak Phet:
- Nestled in a tranquil bay, Salak Phet is a charming fishing village known for its mangroves and peaceful surroundings. It offers a selection of accommodations, including eco-friendly resorts. It’s an ideal place to unwind and explore the island’s natural beauty.
- Salak Khok:
- Just south of Salak Phet, Salak Khok is a small, picturesque village with a laid-back atmosphere. You can book eco-resorts here and embark on mangrove boat tours to witness the area’s unique flora and fauna.
- Long Beach (Hat Ta Nam):
- Located on the southeast coast, Long Beach is a hidden paradise with a sense of isolation. It offers a tranquil setting and a limited number of accommodations, making it perfect for those who seek solitude.
What to See and Do:
- Mangrove Boat Tours:
- Explore the pristine mangrove forests of the east side by taking a boat tour. Witness the unique ecosystems, spot wildlife, and gain insight into the importance of mangroves for coastal environments.
- Salak Phet Seafood Market:
- Visit the seafood market in Salak Phet to savor the island’s freshest catches. Enjoy a delicious meal at one of the nearby seafood restaurants while gazing at the bay.
- Koh Chang’s Viewpoints:
- Hike to viewpoints like Salak Phet Viewpoint to take in stunning vistas of the lush rainforests and the Gulf of Thailand.
- Beachcombing and Relaxation:
- Long Beach offers a quiet, sandy stretch where you can unwind, beachcomb, or take a dip in the tranquil waters.
Accommodations on the East Side:
- Sea View Resort & Spa (Salak Phet):
- A luxurious eco-friendly resort overlooking the bay. It offers comfortable accommodations and spa services.
- Salakphet Guesthouse (Salak Phet):
- A budget-friendly option with simple rooms in a tranquil setting.
- Nature Beach Resort (Long Beach):
- A charming and eco-conscious resort with bungalows nestled in nature.
- Bang Bao Beach Resort (Salak Khok):
- A laid-back beachfront resort offering traditional Thai hospitality.
Tips for an East Side Adventure:
- Consider renting a motorbike for convenient exploration.
- Embrace eco-friendly accommodations to minimize your impact on the environment.
- Engage with the local culture and support community-based initiatives.
The east side of Koh Chang offers a serene escape, where you can experience nature’s wonders and savor the tranquility of local life. Whether you’re seeking relaxation, eco-adventures, or cultural immersion, this hidden gem on the island promises an unforgettable journey.